The Africa Mercy

The Africa Mercy

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Crazy golf?


This may be the most bizarre experience that I have ever written about, but one that I cannot wait to share.
The other Friday night, one of the guys found me late on and asked what I was up to that weekend. I didn’t have anything major planned and asked why? He said that there was some golf thing going on and there was a spare place, was I interested? Well….I wasn’t too sure, but said yes, without any real conviction. Oh my…how much would I have regretting saying no!

I wake up early the next morning and with 11 others from the ship, drive to the north of Lome, to the one golf course in the country. It didn’t take long to see that this ‘invitational’ that we had been invited to was very much an exclusive thing, saved for the haves and haves more of Togo. In short, one of the hotels was opening up a small pitch and putt and so was hosting a 2 day tournament to raise the profile…a bit of a P.R stunt.

So here I am, waiting to play this 9 hole course, in the baking heat, in the knowledge that I’ve not hit a golf ball in a number of years, and even then, when I did hit them, it never went as I expected…..it would be fair to say that the butterflies were a roaming in the tummy!

So, the general overview is that we played in pairs, you both hit, and whoever hit the best shot, you play from there. So, I was very happy to find out that I was playing with a chap called Pierre who it would be fair to say was a rather decent little golfer…so, pressure was off. We then find out that the two guys we are playing with both work for the E.U. in Lome, were part of the election process and had together helped to arrange for $150m worth of aid to the country. So, you’re average Saturday morning….

We play the first hole, Pierre does the business and I’m quite happy. That happiness turns to disbelief though, as we realize that between each hole there is a refreshments stand dedicated to a different country, which is free and open to us all. So, throughout the mornings play, we moved from France to Spain, on to Russia, the USA, Greece, Germany, Turkey and Italy – each with food, wine, beer and other things that you would expect to find in each country. I thought to myself, this is working out very nicely indeed. Pierre plays the big shots, I get to swing without pressure and then have some regular light refreshments to ease me around. And so the morning continued much like that. I am proud to say that I threw 3 shots in that were good enough for Pierre to decide that we should play mine instead of his….but all in all….he carried the team!




The next day, we turn up to play the 5 hole pitch and putt that the hosting hotel has opened, and quickly work our way through those holes, no problem. We then get side swiped again with the lavishness of the occasion as this top notch buffet lunch in the gardens is hosted for us all to enjoy and dine at – again with great food, BBQ, open bar and all the works. A truly ridiculous 2 days, and did I mention the prise…around £8. I’ll say again….Ridiculous!


We then go from that high, to 3 day later, having the President of Togo come and visit the ship, tour around the Hospital and then share a short message with us all, explaining his thankfulness to us all for coming to His country and being willing to help. A very poignant moment was when he said,
“It is in moments like this, when we see what you do, that we come to realize the limits of politics.”

As weeks go, I dare say I have had few that come close to matching one like this. Surreal, simply surreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment