The Africa Mercy

The Africa Mercy

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Togo




As we slowly moved our way into the dock, the sounds of the drums, trumpets, horns and voices became more and more apparent. The colours of the clothes, the frantic movements of the dancers and the gleaming white smiles spoke of more than just the joy and happiness of the arrival of friends - it spoke of hope - hope for the lives that will be changed for ever.




As I stood there, gazing in wonder at the reaction of the crowd that was greeting us, I became completely overwhelmed. Overwhelmed at their joy and appreciation, but more than anything, overwhelmed by the reality that I have the opportunity to be involved in something truly significant and life changing - both for the Togolease people and for myself.




And Jesus said, "You know that the rulers of this world lord it over their people, and officials flaunt their authority over those under them. But among you it will be different. Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first among you must be slave to everyone else. For even the Son of man came not to be served but to serve others" (Mark 10:41)

Helps to keep one's pride in check, eh?


I find it hard at times to convey the right emotions and sentiments when I blog or make facebook updates, I know that I have an amazing opportunity to be hear and that this is a very unique place to be. But i'm also continually challenged by the words and actions of Jesus and how I see them take shape the more and more I open myself to his truth. And it fascinates me, what would our friendships, streets, work places - dare I say it, churches - look like if we took Him seriously? If we left 'self' at the door and began to learn that through serving those around us, we gain more than we ever could by consuming. I am still learning this, I hope and pray that you can join me in this journey.














No comments:

Post a Comment